Waaazap! Nigeria’s Best Social Networking Site?
Waaazap is a social networking site. No, scrap that. Waaazap is a 100% original, innovative and not another ‘clone’ social networking site. It runs on some amazing engineering from the Waaazap team, one I doubt I have seen in Nigerian Social Networking Sites.
I was skeptical about Waaazap initially, and almost wrote it off as another ‘Social Networking site’, which appears to be what many Nigerian Developers are creating nowadays. Also, I had interacted with the founder, Bambo Oyelaja, at last year’s BarcampNigeria, where he told me about his plans, how he didn’t fancy Facebook [which I didn't like as a Facebook Addict], and how he felt Nigerian Websites should not use Google Adsense but build their own Ad networks. At the time, I told myself this guy was just dreaming and would probably fade off after not making the money which could be made through Adsense. And Waaazap, how easy is it to tell someone over the phone? Waaazap also had some early teething problems as regards the Domain name.
However, I’ve been proved wrong as Bambo has made Waaazap work [I am in love with the site now], and even built an Ad Network which is really an innovation in the Nigerian Social Networking space.
- Its innovative and has great engineering.
- Its fun to use; with new lingua, such as quip for comments etc.
- It has fun apps such as Debates, Movies, Inkspots etc
- It has blogging features.
- It allows the use of @username to send messages to friends, which is really cool.
- Cool features like Events, Photo Uploading, Phonebook
- Lovely design and User Interface…You can customise the look of your profile.
- The team is really talented.
- Coming from Facebook, the User Experience is not so Good. Waaazap does not implement Ajax sitewide as it should. e.g. sending a friend request can take you to as many as 3 pages! However, the Engineers have promised to fix this soon in upcoming updates.
- There’s the issues of finding friends easily. You want to find people you can interact with on a Social Networking site. Its not that easy to do on Waaazap. Maybe a public page where all users posts were displayed according to popularity would help.
- Inviting friends to Waaazap is not a feature the site implements. This I find very funny. As much as I want to tell my Facebook and Twitter friends about this cool new site, or even those on my email list, there’s no way I will go through the stress of manually inviting friends…Waaazap should implement a feature that makes this easy to do in 2 or 3 clicks [and pls use AJAX :)]. I believe invite scripts abound on the web.
- Waaazap needs to leverage on people’s existing networks such as twitter, facebook etc
- A lot has to be done as regards marketing and publicity.
- No games, not that I would play any though
All in all, Waaazap is a great piece of web engineering, and I believe if properly run, will become Nigeria’s foremost Social Networking Site in years to come. It has stiff competition though. What do you think of Waaazap?
Excuse me please, I have to go check my Waaazap profile